Safety Advice

How to stay safe with gas and electricity

Gas safety checks

If you smell gas call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

When in use, gas appliances such as fires, boilers and cookers can release a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide, especially if they are improperly installed or if their condition has deteriorated over time. The Health and Safety Executive has produced a useful guide about gas safety which you can download from their website

If you are an owner-occupier, you should consider installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Please contact your local council or a Gas Safe registered engineer for more information. Flow may be able to provide a Gas Safety Check free of charge if you are in receipt of means tested benefits and any person living at your address is:

  • Under 18.
  • Of pensionable age.
  • Disabled or chronically sick.

Please contact us to check your eligibility.

If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord (in most cases) is responsible for providing a Gas Safety Certificate showing which appliances have been checked and when your home was last tested.

Electricity Supply Problems

If there’s a problem with your electricity supply, the first thing you need to do is to check your fuse box. If any of the fuses have tripped, turn off your appliances and reset the switch.

If the fuse had not tripped, find out if your neighbours have power. If they haven’t, you’ll need to call 105 ( The new number for power cuts ) to be directed to your local Distribution Network Operator. Or you can call your local operator using one of the numbers listed below. If the issue relates to the wider network, then it’s up to the Network Operator to investigate and remedy the problem.

If the Distribution Network Operator has told you that there’s no problem with the wider network, then you need to contact us so we can look into it. If a problem is identified with the meter, the matter will be investigated further. We’ll aim to get your supply back on and we will call you to let you know what’s happening within four hours.

“105” – The new number for power cuts

105 is a new three-digit number that people can call to report or get information about power cuts. You can also call 105 with any welfare concerns related to a power cut, or if you are worried about the safety of over or underground electricity cables or substations.105 is free of charge and will put you through to your electricity network operator. You can call 105 from most landlines and mobile phones.

It launched in September 2016 and is available to people in England, Scotland and Wales. The website will  provide you with more information and direct you to your network operator.

However you can still call your local distribution network operator using the numbers below.

Local Distribution Network Operator Contact Numbers

North PowerGrid (@Northpowergrid):

  • North East England 0800 668 877
  • Yorkshire 0800 375 675

Western Power (@WPDUK):

  • East & West Midlands, South Wales and South West England 0800 6783 105

SP Energy Networks (@SPEnergyNetwork):

  • Central & Southern Scotland 0800 092 9290
  • Cheshire, Merseyside, North Wales and north Shropshire 0800 001 5400

SSE Power Distribution:

  • North Scotland 0800 300 999 (@hydroPD)
  • Southern England 0800 072 7282 (@southernelecPD)

UK Power Networks (@UKPowerNetworks):

  • London, East and South East England 0800 316 3105

If you’re not sure who you Network Operator is, enter your post code at to find out